Monday, February 9, 2009

Guilt, guilt and more guilt

Every once in a while (like a couple times per year), I have to travel for work. Generally it is one of those deals where you get up at the butt crack of dawn, fly out and then return later in the evening. The last couple of trips have been slightly longer than that though. I had to go to Jackson MS in December for a couple of days and I'm here again right now for some follow-up work for a full week.

Well, a couple days of being gone really isn't such a big deal, but an entire week? Geesh! So now I'm wallowing in guilt after being gone for about 36 hours. It all started Saturday night when Sarah was slightly weepy that I wouldn't be able to tuck her in for the whole week. Then Leah chose Sunday (when I was flying out) to throw up everywhere. Just in time for me to walk out the door and leave Joe with that mess.

And then today. I call home and I'm informed that Mary had an extremely rough day at daycare today. She was reprimanded 5 + times for not being able to keep her body to herself. Not-so-coincidentally, the last time she had these troubles at daycare was when I was in Jackson in December. Now I truly feel like crap because she obviously isn't happy that I'm gone. In some ways, it would be a lot easier if she just reacted like Sarah and vocalized her feelings about being Mommy-free for a week.

I would think that they would be excited to be free of me for a while! I have a few more rules than Joe. Joe will make them very kid-friendly meals while I'm away. Why wouldn't they be thrilled to be free of me for a little bit? I just don't get it.

Ah, and then there is the guilt of leaving Joe with ALL the work for the week. Once again, a couple days is no biggie but it starts to really be a pain in the bahookie after that.

I guess I will just have to get over it and just convince my colleagues to work a bit harder so we can go home sooner.

A little bit of guilt is healthy, right?

1 comment:

  1. ahh...sorry you are having a rough trip! Joe will survive and it will do him some good (at least you can keep telling yourself that). Hope the girls are healthy b/c that would be the worst for me (and this is about me, right?). And hey - you figured something out about Mary...when she misses you she beats people up. :)

    just think how happy everyone will be to see you on Friday! :)

    Oh and should I add to the guilt and say I miss you too and work just isn't the same when you are gone...I find myself opening IM and then pouting that it says "out of the office". :)

    ReplyDelete