Sunday, September 13, 2009

Better Know a Playground, Part 1

It has been requested that I share some of my playground knowledge that I have gained in my multi-part series entitled "Better Know a Playground". I can't tell you how many parts this series will have because I really don't know how many playgrounds we have tested out. It seems like a zillion, but probably more like twenty. For all you Steven Colbert fans out there, this series was indeed inspired by his 435 part series "Better Know a District".

The playground of choice for today: Northwest Park. I don't name 'em folks, I just drag my children to 'em. BTW, this is about as busy as I have ever seen it on a non-soccer day. During soccer games, the place is packed. It is located just south of Henderson Road, West of Coach Road.
NORTHWEST PARK

This is a playground we haven't been to for a while. In fact, I don't think we have been here at all this summer. The play structure is actually very tall as far as playgrounds go. I took the girls there a couple times last summer but decided it was WAY too tall for a then 2 1/2 yr old to be using. It was definitely heart-attack inducing watching Leah play on it.

Fast forward to this summer, and Leah is perfectly capable at 3 1/2 to climb over the entire structure and go down the slides without fear she will fall off the side.

Here she is demonstrating her new favorite playground equipment, the rock wall.



The slides on the main play structure are quite tall. Mary thought they were the greatest thing ever, for today.

Yes, I am one of those parents that let my kids walk up the slides.

One of the major drawbacks to this playground is the toddler area. It is seriously lacking. We have better stuff in our basement.

That is the entire toddler playground. I didn't even have to step back to take the picture.

My girls absolute favorite part of the park is what I call the Little House on the Prairie hill. They run up and down over and over and over to the point of exhaustion. It is great!

Can't you just hear that theme song in your head?

While we were perched up at the top of the hill, the girls decided to pick a few flowers. I have to say that I always appreciate photo ops that involve my kids and nature!

All in all, it is a nice playground to spend an hour, but it isn't going to keep them entertained for a long period of time. If you hit it when there aren't soccer practices or games, it is nearly empty, which is a major bonus. The walking path around the park is very long and actually connects to Burbank, so you can give it some bonus points for that feature too.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for the first Park review post!!!!

    that playground does look scary!

    ReplyDelete